The RKM Foundation

The RKM Foundation
Thank you!

Saturday, December 14, 2013

LALA NGOXOLO MADIBA - Rest In Peace Mandela

"I am fundamentally an optimist. Whether that comes from nature or nurture, I cannot say. Part of being optimistic is keeping one's head pointed toward the sun, one's feet moving forward. There were many dark moments when my faith in humanity was sorely tested, but I would not and could not give myself up to despair. That way lays defeat and death"
 Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela - South African anti-apartheid revolutionary, politician, philanthropist who served as President of South Africa from 1994 to 1999.
I discover this man, this icon, this legend at the tender age of 8 years. He had  just  been release from prison and the television was on and the entire celebration was being recorded by my mother.She was transfixed in the moment and  everything  that was taking place; Paul Simon sang diamonds on the sole of her shoes, Miriam Makebah (Mama Africa ),sang  her famous Click Song, LadySmith Black Mambazo sang Homeless ,the Soweto choir sang among others and my mother danced. She was so ecstatic and I couldn't understand  what was happening that caused her such joy. As we danced, I asked and  she told me "...Mandela is free,he was imprisoned for almost 30 years and he is free, he is finally free and things are going to change in South Africa."
 I honestly never understood it, but in that moment I accepted her words as truth and I became connected to the words she spoke. I now realized I became connected to that moment through my mother. Although I didn't quite understand the magnitude of the situation I realized that people in other parts of the world where going through difficulties.
"














In my 8 year old mind I thought this man had to be someone remarkable to command this much attention so far away. I listened to any and everything that my parents would say about Mandela and I heard the words Apartheid, fighting, racism, blacks against whites, inequality, differences, challenges,history and to child eavesdropping on conversations those are a lot of fancy words:-)  As the years went by and I learned more about MANDELA,through his autobiographies,articles,numerous books and interviews, I realized that he was far from perfect but he represented the ultimate change.He is evidence that love does have the power to change and that forgiveness can be the greatest weapon given time and the ability to see beyond all the things that divide us and  instead focus on what may unite us.

I am humbled to have lived in his lifetime and it is evident that my sentiment is shared by countless others around the world.This man who revolutionized  the world had such a self-effacing demeanor about him that he recognized and accepted that he couldn't have done it alone.This man who had every reason to be vengeful chose forgiveness,he never forget where and what he came from and he never took anyone for granted along the way.  

 In  2000 he was interviewed by Oprah, he spoke sincerely about his elevated reputation.
"I wanted to be known as 'Mandela,'" he told Oprah. "I knew it was not the contribution of one individual which would bring about liberation and the peaceful transformation of the country. And my first task when I came out [of prison] was to destroy the myth that I was something other than an ordinary human being."
Though Mandela may have been seen as the face of the movement to bring about that peaceful transformation, he acknowledged his role with great humility. "Whatever position I occupied, it was the result of colleagues -- of my comrades in the movement -- who had decided in their wisdom to use me for the purpose of focusing the attention of the country and the international community on me," he said. "Not because I had any better virtues than themselves, but because this was their decision."

Thank you MADIBA for teaching not only through words but by being a living example!!!! 

LALA NGOXOLO MADIBA

P.S. (Those songs and the recording from the celebration would be replayed thousands of times in our  home until they oozed from my pour I still sing "Bring back  Nelson Mandela, bring him back come to Soweto, I want to see him walking hand in hand with Winnie Mandela..oh oh oh ..Bring back Nelson Mandela, bring him back come to Soweto, I want to see him walking down the streets of South Africa, tomorrow...." & "People think  I'm crazy cause I have diamonds on the soles of my shoes, well that's one way to ease those walking blues, diamonds on the soles of your shoes..)I attached YouTube links to a few of these songs. Please listen and share.

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFQ1TSzdpRA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAhHGYrzj2M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg4Fp-A7IRw

Much Love &Walk Good













   

 











































































No comments: