The RKM Foundation

The RKM Foundation
Thank you!

Friday, July 19, 2013

SUMMER TIME, SUMMER TIME

 Summer , Summer ,Summer Time , Summer Time!!!! Family  you  know  what we are  talking  about  if these lyrics  brings back memories of your  childhood or  you were a teenager when this was the summer song  in the western  hemisphere. You  know  you  want to  sing  it, you know  you  can see the video, DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince rocking those cool  fades.... WHAT!!!!

"It's late in the day and I ain't been on the court yet Hustle to the mall to get me a short set. Yeah I got on sneaks but I need a new pair Cause basketball courts in the summer got girls there. The temperature's about 88. Hop in the water plug just for old times sake. Break to ya crib change your clothes once more. Cause you're invited to a barbeque that's starting at 4. Sitting with your friends cause y'all reminisce. About the days growing up and the first person you kiss. And as I think back makes me wonder how The smell from a grill could spark up nostalgia. All the kids playing out front. Little boys messin round with the girls playing double-dutch. While the dj's spinning a tune as the old folks dance at your family reunion... There's an air of love and of happiness. And this is the fresh prince's new definition of summer madness" 

  Summer  is simply  my favorite time  of the  year, maybe it's  because I am  from the Caribbean and feeling  the rays of the sun  hit my  face directly which causing me to instantly  start sweating  reminds  me  of being a child and having  no  inhibitions; swinging from the tree swing, running around  bare feet in the grass,climbing the cherry tree to the" tippie" top to  get the biggest, ripest cherry  that I would sink my teeth into without a second thought. The  tastes  that would  flood my taste buds was a  fusion of  sweetness and tartness with  the warmth of the sun  that  had  brought  it to  that  ripened  state  as the juices  literally ran  down  my  fingers.  Summer does that  for me still at  this  age. Going for a morning walk in the park, I relish in feeling the heat from the sun, the sweat  pouring down  my  face. I  look forward  to eating  ice cream  and  having it  melt as I eat it...I only miss not being able to let  it freely drip  on my clothes,and I definitely don't miss the sticky fingers....lol.

In all  honesty  it has absolutely nothing  to  do with being  from the  Caribbean:-) Irrespective  of  where  you are  from  summer brings about  a  certain  "JOIE DI VIVRE" to the atmosphere and  those caught in its  undeniable  grasp. It  is always  fun to sit and listen to individual tell summer stories. The joy of the season and  their experiences  simply oozes from their  voices  as  their tones  raise and fall with  each  memory.
To be honest I have recently  found myself  sharing  thoses  stories in those  tones  with  my  nephew  about  my  summer  memories.

 Family, this  summer I challenge you  to take advantage of the natural  ambiance of summer, create  the memories with the little ones and the not so little ones. Let  the teenagers get out  of the house, away  from the X-Box, IPhone and the IPad( shoot  you need to get away from the IPhone,IPad and all tablets..lol) plan that vacation,  go to the beach, build a bon fire, ride a  bike, skate board,blow bubbles, eat  popsicles, make homemade ice-cream , roast  corn, eat  crab..... run bare feet through the grass, eat a freshly picked  fruit  without washing  it,blow bubbles, go down the slip and slide  full clothed, drive out of town on a summer afternoon stay until dark and  look at the stars with  everyone or with  no one.  Let  summer  do  what  it  does  natural.....let it set  you  free to  experience and  explore the world around  you,whether you are  in your back yard or 10,000 miles  away. ENJOY  your summer!!!!!!












No comments: